Proofreading on PDFs in Adobe Acrobat documents
REPEAT from 2021
Focus: The aim is to help participants take the frustration out of marking up comments on PDF by using specific techniques that also create better digital workflows.
Date: Saturday, 10 September 2022
A checklist document will be sent to you upon registration.
Time: 10:00 to 13:00
Place: Online (Zoom meeting)
Facilitator: Laetitia Sullivan, ATE (English)
CPD hours: Those who attend the webinar will earn 3 CPD hours; those who opt to listen to the recording and view the PPT presentation only will qualify for 1 CPD hour.
About our facilitator
Laetitia Sullivan works primarily as a SATI-accredited sworn translator (Afrikaans–English) with a further focus on UA/UI localisation of Google and Microsoft products (English–Afrikaans). When wearing her editing/proofreading hat, she specialises in educational and non-fiction publishing, including school textbooks for the African market, cookbooks, sports biographies and business titles (www.translatorbee.co.za). In 2019, she won the SATI prize for outstanding service translation for her Afrikaans translation Insigte uit Opvoedkundige Sielkunde of the English title Understanding Educational Psychology published by Juta & Co. She also edited and project managed a self-published cookbook that took top honours at the Gourmand World Cookbook Awards. She has been a freelance language practitioner for the last 18 years, a full member of PEG since 2009, and regularly contributes to PEGboard. Laetitia loves books, pugs and wine – mostly at the same time.
About the workshop
Contrary to popular belief, there is actually a right way and a wrong way of marking up comments on PDF. This webinar will demonstrate various techniques for marking up comments the ‘right’ way to ensure better outcomes for clients, especially regarding designed work in Adobe InDesign CC. Topics discussed during this webinar cover the following:
- the relationship between Adobe InDesign CC and Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, and how your actions as reviewer will influence the work of a designer
- the reasons for following a certain PDF mark-up technique
- the difference between importing and non-importing mark-up tools and when to use them
- the different PDF conversion techniques and how to fix converted text
- using scripts or other techniques to add bookmarks, run a spellcheck or do a word count
- using simple, advanced and filter search techniques
- comparing different PDF reviews and exporting/importing different reviewer comments.
To derive the most from this webinar, please do the following:
- Download and install the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (free): https://get.adobe.com/reader/
- Download the August 2022 edition of PEGboard (free): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ipdH8vDKuZhHBjGaU_djnmOioKlL1YTS/view?usp=sharing
- Complete the checklist exercise you will receive when you register, watch the videos (optional) and download the listed documents (optional).
Please note that this is a webinar aimed at PC users and that I won’t be able to assist Mac users.
The cost of the online workshop is set out below:
|Affiliation||Early-bird registration fee
(before or on 5 September 2022)
(from 6 to 8 September)
*LAMP members: Association of Southern African Indexers and Bibliographers (ASAIB), ProJourn, Southern African Freelancers’ Association (SAFREA), South African Science Journalists’ Association (SASJA) and the South African Translators’ Institute (SATI).
Please register by completing and emailing the registration form to Sharon Rose no later than 12 noon on Thursday, 8 September.
If members are unable to attend this webinar after having registered and paid for it, a full refund is possible if cancellations are received by Sharon Rose by 12 noon on Friday, 9 September.. Once the final number of attendees has been confirmed on the morning of the webinar, no refunds are possible.
In addition, should you be prevented from participating in full or in part on the day of the webinar owing to Eskom loadshedding, you will be entitled to take either the same webinar or another on the 2022 webinar programme. When this occurs, the onus will be on you to inform the webinar coordinator of your disqualification on this ground and to specify which alternative webinar you would like to transfer your registration to.
Remember, though, that as a would-be or part-participant on the day, you will in any event receive the audio recording of the entire event plus PDFs of the PPT slides.
Use the early-bird special: save money and secure your spot at this webinar by registering early!