To send us a job advertisement or job specification, fill in the form below. We’ll then circulate it to our members promptly and they will contact you directly.
PEG appreciates job postings from prospective employers, both local and international. However, we instituted the requirements outlined below to ensure that the jobs appeal to all our members, align with our inclusive values, and promote the craft of editing and proofreading.
Jobs in subfields such as indexing and transcribing are also accommodated but our focus is predominantly on editing and proofreading, as reflected in our identity.
Requirements for submitting a job
Before submitting a job for posting, please go through the checklist below to check whether it is relevant to our platform.
- Is the job posting predominantly about editing and/or proofreading?
- Does your job invite all our members to apply, regardless of race, gender, ethnicity or other identity?
- Does your job, if full-time, adhere to the minimum wages prescribed by the South African government?
- Does your job, if freelance, align with the minimum freelance rates encouraged by the Southern African Freelancers’ Association?
- Does your job accommodate all ages?
If you answered No to any of the questions above, this platform is not appropriate for your submission. Please consider other platforms to advertise your job.
If you are looking for academic editing and proofreading services, please read our Copy Editing Academic Texts: Guidelines for Students and Authors to find out whether your request is reasonably timed and you understand the role of an academic editor. You can click on the button below to download the guidelines.
A thorough edit generally takes longer than people think – three weeks or more for a dissertation of 200+ pages. Please bear this in mind when submitting an academic text for editing.
Please provide at least the following information about your job posting in the Job Description textbox below:
- Genre/field of study/document title
- Length (words and/or pages)
- Referencing style (if applicable)
If you are comfortable doing so, please also upload a short sample (1-2 pages) of the document. This will help our editors to give you an accurate quote.
Do I need a proofread or copy-edit?
All authors need a copy editor but not all authors need a proofreader. Here is a visual that explains the reason for this with an indication of the rates charged.